Self Referral Services

Most referrals need to come from a GP but there are several clinics you are able to self-refer to. This means you do not need to see your GP first before getting help.

Adult Community Services

The Adult Community Services Team is made up of Nurses, Specialist Nurses, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, Assistant Practitioners and Support Workers. The service is for people over the age of 18 who cannot go to their GP or their Practice Nurse. They see patients in their own home or in care homes. Where possible, The Adult Community Services Team promote independence, self-care and support people to return to their own homes from hospital.

Your GP can refer you to this service, or you can contact the Single Point of Access on 0300 0830 100. The Single Point of Access is open Monday to Friday from 8am to 5pm. This service is available in Nottingham North and East, Nottingham West and Rushcliffe.

The services include:

  • Nursing care such as wound care
  • Support when people leave hospital
  • Helping to stop falls
  • End of life care
  • Continence care
  • Pulmonary rehab
  • Help with long term conditions including respiratory, diabetes and heart failure

Base 51 Counselling Service

The Base 51 Counselling Service provides time and space for young people aged 12 to 25 to talk about their troubles and explore difficult feelings in an environment which is dependable, free from intrusion and confidential. Counsellors at Base 51 respects young people’s viewpoint while helping them to deal with specific problems, cope with crises, improve their relationships, or develop better ways of living.

Counselling is not about offering advice or about managing a situation for a young person: counselling offers help to the young person to gain insight into their feelings, thoughts and behaviour and to work with them to change if necessary or if they want to.

To self-refer: Telephone: 0115 952 5040, E-mail:

Some of the things that counselling can support young people with are:

  • Issues around relationships
  • Family issues
  • Bullying
  • Neglect
  • Violence
  • Abuse
  • Anger
  • Trauma
  • Being self-critical
  • Adoption
  • Loss
  • Foster-care
  • Bereavement
  • Sexuality
  • Exploitation
  • Drugs and alcohol
  • Disordered eating
  • Anxiety
  • Panic
  • Stress
  • Depression
  • Suicidal thoughts
  • Self-harm

Bereavement Services – Cruse Bereavement

The loss of someone we care about can be devastating and one of the most difficult experiences we will have to face. It can be lonely and isolating, especially if you have nobody you can talk to.

Cruse offers face to face support, telephone support and group support

To get in touch with Nottinghamshire Cruse, please call :

0115 924 4404

British Pregnancy Advisory Service (BPAS) Termination Clinic

If you are pregnant and are considering an abortion, you are not alone. 1 in 3 UK women will have an abortion by the time they are 45 years old. BPAS help thousands of women with unplanned pregnancy counselling and abortion treatment every year. They make sure that you have enough support to help you decide if abortion, adoption or parenting is right for you.

Most women BPAS see are sure they want a termination and do not need counselling – they make sure that they are treated quickly, safely and conveniently. Other women are undecided about their next step, they want to talk about their pregnancy so BPAS offer them counselling. 10-15% of women who approach BPAS decide to continue with their pregnancy.

To self-refer, please call 03457 30 40 30.

British Red Cross

The British Red Cross help anyone, anywhere in the UK and around the world get the support they need if crisis strikes. From hiring a wheelchair or dealing with loneliness, to adjusting to life in a new country – they are there when you need them.

To self-refer please call 0344 871 11 11

The British Red Cross provide help with:

  • Hiring a wheelchair
  • Getting support at home when you return from hospital or help you to live independently
  • Help as a refugee or asylum seeker
  • Help with loneliness
  • Hiring a commode
  • Help with money problems
  • Help finding missing relatives
  • Advice regarding preparing for emergencies
  • Help for UK victims of terrorism abroad

Community Musculoskeletal Assessment and Treatment Service (CMATS)

CMATS is a service for patients with musculoskeletal conditions. They provide a range of treatments in a community setting providing care closer to home. The service offers a self-referral option to access physiotherapy without needing to visit your Doctor first. The team of Specialist Clinicians will provide a comprehensive assessment and a personalised management plan. They may also refer you on to the Orthopaedic Team if needed.

To refer yourself into the service, visit and click self-refer. Alternatively, please call 0115 784 2147 and one of the Patient Care Co-ordinators will be happy to help.


If you are over 18 you can self-refer to Let's Talk Wellbeing and Insight Healthcare. They offer counselling and various therapies to help with anxiety, depression, sleep problems, coping with long term health conditions and more.

There are three ways you can self-refer to Let's Talk Wellbeing; either over the phone, online or through the post.

Please click here to direct you to their website and online referral form.

You can call on: 0115 956 0888

There are two ways to refer to Insight Healthcare; either over the phone or online.

Please click here to direct you to their website and online referral form

You can call on: 0300 555 5582

Change Point – Weight Management

If you would like help to lose or manage your weight you can self-refer to ChangePoint. ChangePoint are dedicated to supporting and assisting adults, young people and children who would like to increase their physical activity levels and learn how to eat a healthy, balanced diet. They are also able to see pregnant women.

If this is something that you are interested in, you can get more information over the phone or by email:

Telephone: 0845 023 0341


Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services are for people up to 18 years old. They are sometimes called CAMHS. If you are aged between 12 and 18 years old and have a Nottinghamshire GP, you can self-refer to CAMHS. This means that you can directly approach the CMAHS Team to ask for help.

The telephone number is 0115 8542 299 and it is open from 8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. You will speak to a specially trained professional who will ask you some questions and talk to you about how they can help. If you prefer, you can ask for help by completing an online self-referral form.

  • Anxiety
  • Low mood/depression
  • Problems with eating
  • Problems with drugs or alcohol
  • Psychosis – when someone hears or sees things which aren’t there
  • Intellectual disability – when someone finds it difficult to communicate or understand things

Drug and Alcohol Services – Change, Grow, Live

If you are concerned about your drinking or drug use but are not sure what steps to take, you can find lots of information and advice through Change, Grow, Live.

If you are worried about a friend or family member then you can speak to a member of the Change, Grow, Live Online Team. You can also access advice if you are worried about your child's drinking or drug use.

Healthy Families Team

Healthy Family Teams are part of the Healthy Families Programme, an integrated service for children, young people and families which brings together care provided by health visitors, school nurses, the Family Nurse Partnership Programme (for first time teenage mums) and the National Childhood Measurement Programme. Children, young people and families will receive care from this service from before birth to their late teens when they need it, regardless of where they live in Nottinghamshire.

To contact your Healthy Family Team in Gedling:

Tel: 0115 993 5582 appointments only

Tel: 0115 883 4661 advice only

This service works 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Friday but can also work out of hours if required.


Have you just found out that you're pregnant?

Congratulations! Please call 0115 883 1862 to self-refer to the midwife. 

You will be given an appointment with the midwife between 8-12 weeks from the first day of your last period.

You should take Folic Acid before you are pregnant and every day until you are 12 weeks pregnant. You should take Vitamin D each day throughout your pregnancy.


Millions of people have used SmokeFree to help them stop smoking. You can choose from an app, Quick Kit, email, SMS or face-to-face guidance. If you would like help to stop smoking you can self refer by clicking here.

There are several clinics around Nottingham, there is a clinic held at Arnold Health Centre on a Monday (9:30 - 12:30) and Wednesday (2:00-7:00).

Please call 0800 246 5343 for an appointment.

Sexual Health Service

Sexual health services in Nottingham and South Nottinghamshire are led by Nottingham University Hospital Trust.

We help over 40,000 people every year with contraception and concerns about sexually transmitted infections (STIs). Our services are not confined to our hospitals and we run community clinics in over 30 locations across Nottingham including health centres, schools, colleges and youth centres.

The service is open access, which means you do not need to be seen by anyone else before attending.


All our services are strictly and legally confidential for all our patients no matter what age or circumstance. Information our patients give us is not shared with anyone outside our sexual health service without the consent of our patients unless it is necessary to protect someone from serious harm. Our higher standards of confidentiality are discussed with patients when they first attend our service.

Who to contact :

Telephone 0115 962 7627


Safeguarding Adults

If you witness abuse or neglect do not ignore it, contact the Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) as soon as possible. Abuse can happen anywhere – in a residential or nursing home, a hospital, in the workplace, a day centre or educational establishment, in supported housing, in the street or the person's own home. In an emergency call 999. To report a crime call 101.

If you are a member of the public and have concerns about an adult at risk, you can call MASH on 0300 5008080 or email to discuss your concerns. You can report abuse anonymously.

MASH opening hours are: Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm.

In an emergency outside of these hours, contact the Emergency Duty Team on 0300 456 4546.

Safeguarding Children

If you believe a child is in immediate danger, please call 999 or report a crime on 101.

For any urgent concerns about a child or if you wish to report a concern anonymously, please contact the Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) on 0300 5008080 if you are a member of the public. You can also fill out their online form via their website or email

Please supply as much details as possible relating to the child who you have safeguarding concerns about as this will help MASH to investigate the issue. MASH operates between the hours of 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Thursday and 8:30am to 4:30pm on Friday. If you require an urgent response outside of these hours, contact the Emergency Duty Team (EDT) on 0300 4564546.

Social Care and Support

Social Care and Support are services to help you if you need practical support because of illness or disability or care for someone receiving social care and support. Patients’ who need help with day-to-day living because of an illness or disability can now get information and support online. There is a guide to social care on the NHS website that contains information for people who might need social care.

Types of social care and support include:

  • Help at home from a paid carer
  • Meals on wheels
  • Having your home adapted
  • Equipment and household gadgets
  • Personal alarms and home security systems so you can call for help (for instance, if you have a fall)
  • Different types of housing, such as sheltered housing and care homes

Introduction to care and support

Apply for needs assessment by social services

Speech and Language Therapy for Children

The Children's Speech and Language Therapy Service supports children in Nottingham city and county. They help children from birth to the end of school. Children meeting the service entry criteria will receive an assessment, diagnosis and support. These are delivered in different places, depending on what your child needs.

The Speech and Language Therapy Service will decide whether your child needs support from these therapists. For all these care options the service provides specialist support for children whose first language is not English.

The service is available to children and young people (0 -18 years) who meet service entry criteria. Anyone can refer to Speech Language Therapy, as long as they have the parents’ or carers’ consent. Call 0300 123 3387 to self-refer.

The first line of contact with Speech and Language Therapy is usually through the Community Speech and Language Therapy Teams, with access to further support as needed. The service also has Speech and Language Therapists who work across Nottinghamshire to support children with more specific and complex needs, including:

  • Autistic spectrum disorders
  • Cleft lip and palate
  • Dysphagia
  • Hearing impairment
  • Learning difficulties
  • Physical difficulties
  • Pre-school complex needs
  • Specific language impairment
  • Stammering (dysfluency)

Urgent Treatment Centre

The Urgent Treatment Centre provides access to assessment and treatment if you need help with a health problem that is urgent, but not life-threatening. This is a walk-in service, open between 7am and 9pm, 365 days a year, with no appointment needed. You can call 0115 883 8500 for directions or current waiting times. The centre focuses on helping patients face-to-face and healthcare advice cannot be given out over the telephone.

Days/hours of operation: Opening hours are: Monday to Sunday 7am to 9pm.

The centre offers assessment and treatment for health conditions such as:

  • Minor burns or scalds
  • Minor head injury with no loss of consciousness
  • Skin infections or animal bites
  • Suspected broken bones, sprains and strains (X-ray service available)
  • Eye infections or minor eye injuries

Your Health Your Way Service

Your Health, Your Way will be delivering all elements of the integrated wellbeing service.

Both third party and self-referrals can be made online by visiting the website or calling 0115 772 2515. All support is free to Nottinghamshire residents and more information on eligibility criteria can be found on the “Your Health Notts” website.

Your Health, Your Way will be accepting referrals for:

  • Weight management
  • Smoking cessation
  • Physical activity
  • Brief alcohol support

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website